Thursday, February 11, 2016

A Spontaneous Adventure

Nothing like snow to inspire and change one's plans for the day. As I drove to school along Lincoln Drive through the falling snow, I realized how important it was to have an unplanned adventure to the Wissahickon. I called Jason and asked him what he thought about walking to the Wissahickon, (and was I crazy to attempt such an adventure with a pack of 5 and 6 year-olds!) He agreed that we needed to act on such a rare opportunity and knew of a path that would take us to a trail in the Wissahickon. He plotted a journey that was equally safe and beautiful along the way as it was getting to the Wissahickon. We marveled at the transformation of familiar things like houses, trees, trash bins, sticks and sidewalks into extraordinary shapes and creatures. The kids were unbelievably resilient and chipper as we walked a great distance (about 4 miles in total) to be a part of one of the most special things I find in the world---freshly fallen snow. I was honored to share the joy and wonder with your children. If they seemed unusually tired and super muddy yesterday, now you know!


Joan brought in a Northern Flicker she found at her farm house in Delaware.

Northern Flicker

Wissahickon trail with fresh snow

Gil climbing the hill in the Wissahickon. 

Snacks under the rocks

Nyasiah and Aliyah climbing in the sunshine.

Nyasiah and Sylvie on the trail.


Sylvie carried these sticks from the Wissahickon back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment